****COUNTRY AND PLACE OF ASSIGNMENT****
SRI LANKA, Colombo and select districts in the South, East, North and North West
Advancing Specialized Skills for Economic Transformation (ASSET) is a five year vocational training project, launched in 2014 and continuing until 2019. Sri Lanka has set ambitious economic growth targets. The country’s economic performance is dependent on a supply of well trained Sri Lankans to work in its key economic drivers – tourism & hospitality, construction, information technology and automotive industries.
The ASSET project supports Sri Lanka’s economic development plan through improving linkages between private sector, government and training providers. ASSET links the human resource needs of growing businesses to those individuals wanting to enter the workforce but lacking the appropriate skills. The project connects unemployed youth to training for existing jobs. Technical assistance interventions ensure training meets private sector needs and standards. In order to improve public perceptions concerning skilled trades, a social marketing and communications campaign will be conducted both regionally and nationally.
The hospitality and tourism sector is one of Sri Lanka’s fastest growing and, with ASSET support, women, the disabled and other marginalized youth have an opportunity to access jobs in the sector and to transform their lives. Communication skills are in high demand within the hospitality and tourism sector and are a pre-requisite for potential youth employees entering the labour market. Therefore, written and oral English language ability needs to be developed and delivered in an effective and sustainable manner. However, the majority of ASSET implementing partners, which include civil society organizations and private sector companies, lack the capacity to provide quality, tailored ESL training to prospective trainees.
Reporting to the Deputy Program Director, and working in close collaboration with the ASSET staff supporting training initiatives (Manager Private Sector, Manager Skills for Youth Employment, Manager Gender Equality and Social Inclusion, Regional Team Leaders), the ESL specialist will:
• Support ASSET private sector partners to identify their English language requirements for specific positions;
• Develop/adapt a training syllabus and training material specific for conversational English for the Sri Lankan tourism and hospitality sector;
• Train local counterparts in training of English for specific use (hospitality/tourism);
• Assess training ability of local counterparts and provide remedial, upgrading support as necessary;
• Support the development of a sustainable ESL plan for the ASSET program and its partners,
• Support the delivery of English language training to ASSET trainees preparing for jobs in the tourism and hospitality sector.
• University degree in English, communications, international development or related area.
• TESOL/TESL/CELA certificate
• Teaching experience
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Strong cross-cultural skills and cultural sensitivity
• Demonstrated interest in development issues and practice
• Interest and commitment to gender equality and social inclusion
• Skills in assessment, monitoring and evaluation
• Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to work independently
• Proven ability to work as part of a team
• Strong problem solving skills
****ASSIGNMENT DURATION AND EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE****
9 – 12 months, starting November 2015
Volunteer will be provided with accommodation in country and a monthly living allowance for the duration of the assignment.
WUSC-Sri Lanka’s ASSET project
Local partners to be identified
Please note that only Canadian citizens, or persons who have the proven status to be able to legally work in Canada are eligible to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should send in their CV along with names and contact details of 03 non-related references and a short cover letter including the date of availability to commence work to:email@example.com clearly stating the position on the subject line on or before ****18th September 2015****.
Applications received after the deadline or not compliant with the instructions will not be accepted.
Only applicants possessing the required qualifications will be taken into consideration.
Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection.
Applications from qualified women and men are equally welcome.