The Colombo Plan for Cooperative Economic and Social Development in Asia and Pacific is an inter-governmental organization with a membership of 27 countries in the Asia-Pacific region. Applications are invited from qualified and experienced Sri Lankan citizens for the above post.
The Colombo Plan for Cooperative Economic and Social Development in Asia and the Pacific applies the concepts of self-help and mutual help to strengthen the development process in its member countries. Established in 1951 with seven Commonwealth member countries, the Colombo Plan has expanded its membership over the years to 27 countries not only of the Commonwealth in the Asia Pacific region but also countries belonging to regional groupings such as Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) and South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC). Drawing on more than 60 years’ of technical cooperation expertise, the Colombo Plan works through a network of national focal points in member countries for effective coordination of its programming. The Colombo Plan is headquartered in Colombo, Sri Lanka, with various field offices around the world.
The Security Manager will be responsible for coordinating, overseeing, and advising on safety and security management of Colombo Plan activities in all counties in which the organization currently operates and any new country where Colombo Plan would start operations. In addition, the Security Manager will be responsible for developing and updating risk assessments and security SOPs, submitting timely and accurate reports and assessments to Colombo Plan HQ and relevant field offices, and representing the organization in security coordination fora, particularly in Colombo. The Security Manager will work closely with Colombo Plan’s Security Manager in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The position is based in Colombo, but requires travel to target countries, including Colombo Plan field offices.
Duties & Responsibilities :
· The Security Manager reports to the Colombo Plan Secretariat and advises the Secretary General on all security-related matters and participates in discussions and development of security policies and procedures;
· The Security Manager will have matrix report reporting lines and will advise Programme Directors on all security-related matters in the regions and will keep the Directors informed on all matters related to security, including policies and procedures;
· Coordinates effectiveness of security and contingency plans for Colombo Plan offices and operations;
· Contributes, with field security managers and security contractors, to security risk assessments for all locations where Colombo Plan personnel are present, and actively participates in the planning and evaluation of the effectiveness of country security plans and other aspects of security operations;
· Reviews and monitors activities related to Colombo Plan security and security plans. Identifies evacuation requirements to be used in emergencies;
· Maintains continuing awareness of prevailing local security conditions in Sri Lanka and other Colombo Plan program countries, identifying potential threats and advising on the appropriate preventative steps;
· Compiles and maintains an updated staff list which includes all personnel and consultants;
· Compiles emergency numbers, develops security plans (including accommodation and transport use) and advise staff on travel accordingly;
· Designs, develops, and implements a responsive and realistic staff training curriculum focused on major safety and security issues and tailored to each program location;
· Develops, designs, or acquires training curricula for all overseas staff drivers that are tailored to their skill levels, experience, and the local threats and driving conditions in which they operate;
· Delivers trainings and briefings to Colombo Plan staff, as required, focused on travel safety, threat assessments, and overall security awareness;
· Establishes and maintains dialogue with local authorities and other international organizations for coordination of efforts in the event of natural disasters and during mass casualty incidents; coordinates emergency and crisis situations response;
· As required, designs and drafts security scopes of work, solicits bids, assesses capabilities, evaluates proposals, and manages the performance of security subcontractors which may, from time to time, be engaged to support Colombo Plan’s safety and security requirements;
· Monitors and evaluates office physical security measures, and conducts security surveys of installations and facilities; Coordinates implementation of security arrangements by guard force management and/or security contractors, as recommended by security risk assessments;
· Evaluates effectiveness of prevailing fire safety measures in effect in assigned areas of responsibility;
· Monitors Security Section equipment and ensures minimum equipment requirements are purchased, maintained and deployed in accordance with relevant policy;
· Coordinates issuance and renewal of identity cards, background checks;
· Develops and maintains a warden system in accordance with relevant policy;
· Works with program teams to provide costs for security considerations that should be budgeted for in the field;
· Conducts overseas visits, as required, to deliver staff training, prepare risk assessments, perform facility inspections, and ensure program compliance with established security policies; and
· Carries out other responsibilities assigned by the Colombo Plan.
· A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in the military, police or security management is required; including
· Experience working in conflict affected countries and complex relief settings;
· At least 3 years’ experience providing security and safety support for international organizations, NGOs, or diplomatic missions;
· Excellent references reflecting demonstrated teamwork, maturity of judgment, tolerance for hardship and stress, leadership and integrity of character;
· Fluency in English – written and verbal. Fluency in Sinhala and/or Tamil strongly preferred. Knowledge of other Asian languages would be an advantage;
· Ability and willingness to train country staff counterparts; proven training leadership required.
· Must be able to demonstrate strong writing, reporting, and situational analysis skills.
· Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the Colombo Plan;
· Excellent knowledge of security management; knowledge, understanding and ability to manage security challenges in conflict and post-conflict environments;
· Demonstrated leadership skills in managing a security operation;
· Ability to make quick decisions in emergencies or when rapid response is required; identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision;
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
· Excellent interpersonal skills, planning, proven networking, team-building, decision making, organizational and communication skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
This appointment is based on an Annual contract with a three-month probation period. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Telephone inquiries will result in the disqualification of your application.
Applications (CV and Cover letter with a recent passport size photograph) should be sent via email on or before 28th February 2018 to email@example.com
The email title and CVs should clearly mention: SECURITY MANAGER